2016 Citizenship and Community Service Scholarship Program Guidelines
12--$500 Scholarships will be awarded
1. Eligibility: Students must be a graduating high school senior in 2016. The student's parent or legal guardian must reside in and be an active telephone subscriber within a Venture Communications telephone exchange. Student must have a cumulative B average or above grade point average.
2. Scholarship Type: The scholarships will be awarded based upon Citizenship, Community Service, Academics and School Involvement. The scholarships will be awarded prior to the start of the second semester of the 1st year students are enrolled in a post-secondary school or Vocational Technical Institute.
3. Application Deadline and Requirements: Applications are available online by clicking here. For more information contact the local high school counselor's office or Venture Communications at 1-800-824-7282.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed typewritten application on a Venture Communications application form.
(Applicants will be disqualified for attaching as separate pages, Community Service and Community Involvement, Honors and Awards, etc.)
- Application must be typed, can be filled out online and mailed to Venture Communications. Applications that are NOT typewritten will be disqualified.
- Photo for use in the Venture Communications newsletter and press release.
- Grade transcript for Junior and Senior year.
- Copies of the ACT test scores.
- Two letters of recommendation from Faculty and/or Administration of High School or Employers. Letters of recommendation should support the information provided in the application.
- All materials in the scholarship application should be printed on one side of the paper only.
Applications are due in our office no later than March 8, 2016. Applications should be mailed to Venture Communications, P.O. Box 157, Highmore, S.D. 57345.
4. Judging Criteria: Judging will be done by a combination of area high school officials, business people from our exchanges, members of the Venture Communications staff and Venture Communications directors. Applications will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Citizenship and Community Service
- School Involvement
- Leadership Skills
- Appearance of Application
5. Scholarship Award: The scholarship will be awarded when possible during commencement exercises or awards presentations at the respective schools. The scholarship check will be made out in the name of the scholarship recipient.